Sunday, October 20, 2024

Lusting for Greatness

 

Mark 10:35-45

Proper 24 / Year B

James, James, James!  John, John, John!  Really?  Really?  Really? 

We admire people who strive to be great by pursuing excellence; people who develop their skills and assets in order to become who God created them to be.  As an example, I was blessed to attend Madison Mottley’s graduation ceremony on Friday evening.  I came away impressed by how hard she and her classmates worked to earn their degrees and how much they sacrificed in the process.  She and they truly deserve to be congratulated and celebrated.

We do not admire people who lust for a position or title or accolade merely for the power and prestige they suppose it will confer.  We do not celebrate people who overreach in order to fill something which is lacking in their life.  We don’t honor those who seek to be great for greatness’ sake alone.  And this is why we bristle at James’ and John’s request.

It all seems so unnecessary.  Along with Peter, the two brothers are already a part of Jesus’ inner circle; the disciples with whom he seems to be especially close.  We would rather they not use their standing in his eyes to preen.  A little bit of humility goes a long way.  Rick Warren, the megachurch pastor and best-selling author, states bluntly, “You are not self-serving when you’ve surrendered [your life to Christ]”.  By this standard, the two brothers (nicknamed the “Sons of Thunder”), are still in the early stages of their training in discipleship.   

Can you think of a time when you pushed and promoted yourself in order to get something you badly wanted; some position or post you imagined would give you prestige?  Have you ever yearned for what you imaged would make you great, in your eyes and in the eyes of others.  And if you achieved what you desired, how did it turn out?

When I was a college freshman I desperately wanted to be on a student-led youth ministry team called Young Life.  Well, I went for it, worked hard, sacrificed much, and by my junior year was actually the leader.  The position even paid a little bit of money, which was nice, but even more it garnered me a certain level of admiration in some circles of the campus.  The thing is, I was not a very good leader at the time.  I overestimated my abilities, did little to build up the other volunteers, didn’t mesh well with some of the teenagers we were trying to evangelize, and nearly ran the entire ministry into the ground. 

Last Tuesday the bishop held her monthly zoom call with the clergy.  We always begin by reading and discussing the gospel lesson for the coming Sunday.  I outed myself by relating the experience from my college years.  I found it interesting everyone on the zoom who has gone after something, as I went after the campus ministry position, confessed it did not turn out well.  They said they were not ideally suited for those positions they sought and in the end it made them miserable.  To a person we shared that when we have been able to relax, to be authentically who we are, and to let God be our guide, things have worked out much better. 

In the business world there is the corporate ladder.  Many people are motivated to climb higher and higher because this is what great people do.  There is a church ladder as well; a path clergy travel from seminary, to be a curate in a notable parish, to serving as the rector of a small, stable church, and then being a rector of a larger church with a larger staff, to becoming the rector of a cardinal parish or the dean of a cathedral or perhaps even a bishop. 

I guess my experience with youth ministry in college taught me enough about coveting power and prestige that I never was particularly motivated to make that climb.  I have never sought to be the rector of a large parish nor have I aspired to be a bishop.  Through it all I have learned what Jesus teaches his followers in today’s reading: If you want to be great you must be a servant to all.

St. Paul’s has been such a wonderful place for me to serve because, whether you realized it or not, every person here offers what they offer, contributes what they contribute, and does what they do out of a spirit of servanthood; never seeking prestige or leveraging it into power.  Believe me, it is not this way in every parish. 

Gandhi, in drawing on the teaching of Jesus, said, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”  While no one is perfect at this and no faith community can fully embody it, I see it as one of St. Paul’s defining characteristics.  We care deeply about one another and in no way attempt to pursue greatness in order to lord it over others. 

So give yourself a pat on the back.  Even better, give someone else here a pat on the back and express your gratitude for their unique contribution to our common life.  Last week was Pastor’s Appreciation Sunday.  Lets make this, and the other 50 Sunday’s during the year Membership Appreciation Day.  Please know how much I admire the servant-like manner in which each of you participates in our common life. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment